19 May 2010

Primo giorno

The dig began last Saturday in the rain.  I met Dr. Ewell and Dr. Taylor that morning at the rental agency, where I received the keys to a massive black van, stick-shift, that I will be driving for the season.  I drove the van from Florence to lunch at Dr. Hatfield's in the piedmont northwest of the city.  I had to pick up the archaeology students at the Siena train station at five, but lunch started late and I lost track of time.  Leaving late, I wheeled down to Florence, hit the Viale, and made my way to the Super Strada.  Unfortunately, I took the old road to Siena winds through the hill country in Chianti.  I realized my mistake and tried to make up for lost time, riding the clutch down the hills, bursting out of a switch-back or hairpin turns, and zooming past small towns like Greve and Castellina.  It was raining and the foliage that hadn't yet matured into the deep green of summer was wet and verdant, nearly neon against the grey sky.  The van lurched and bobbed through its tortuous path, the engine roaring, catching, accelerating.  I arrived at the station a only little late and full of adrenaline.  I then responsibly shuttled the students to Radda.

We are staying in villa built in the 1960's that is located a kilometer down the hill from Radda.  The villa overlooks the vineyards that produce Chianti Classico; it is cavernous and decorated as it was half a century ago.  It has been cold and at night, we light fires to keep the house warm.  We take our meals together there, leaving for the excavation site at eight and returning at five.  I have plenty more to write about all of this later.  Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment